|The Cremerie de Paris has a long history .... the Nicolas V de Villeroy years
before ... birthplace of Louis XIV (2/7)
Louis XIV's main childhood home
Palais Royal (ex Palais Cardinal)
The Palais Royal is located at approximately 204 rue Saint Honoré
in the center of Paris (today the 1st Arrondissement).
The mother of Louis XIV, Anne d'Autriche did not feel comfortable at the Louvre.
She thought that the long hallways were too cold in the winter.
After the death of her husband King Louis XIII
she prefered to move to the Palais Royal.
agrandir le plan fait par Jan Janssonius en 1657
This map was drawn by Jan Janssonius in 1657 when Louis XIV was 19 years old.
It shows the close walking distance from the Palais Royal
to the Louvre (2minutes) and the Hotel de Villeroy (10 minutes)
Louis XIV frequently went from his home
the Palais Royal
to the nearby Hotel de Villeroy owned by his tutor, Nicolas V de Villeroy.
The Hotel de Villeroy "down the road"
going along the rue Saint Honoré towards les Halles.
Rue Saint Honoré still exists and has not change that much,
it is one of the most historic streets in Paris.
Palais Royal is located on the level of n° 204 rue Saint Honoré
(it has no street number, N°204 is located next to it)
and the Hotel de Villeroy next to n° 33 rue Saint Honoré,
at the corner of rue des Bourdonnais / rue des Déchargeurs / rue de la Limace.
At the time Rue de Rivoli and Rue des Halles,
built much later under Baron Haussmann,
did not exist.
With some interruptions Louis XIV lived at the Palais Royal
between 1643 and 1661.
Today Palais Royal occupies
the French Ministère de la Culture
the Conseil Constitutionel
and the Conseil d'Etat.
Another place in the childhood of Louis XIV
small Hunting castle in Versailles
Sometimes the Villeroy children
were invited to come to the Relais de chasse de Versailles.
Their earliest visits were around 1651
Later the relais de chasse was transformed par Louis XIV
to become the château de Versailles.
He moves in there in 1682 after some years at the Vieux Chateau de Saint Germain en Laye.
End of Nicolas V de Villeroy's role as educator
Around 1654, year of this portrat by Justus van Egmont
Nicolas V de Villeroy's mission as an educator was accomplished.
But the King and Nicolas V stayed friends until his death in 1685.
The friendship with his son lasted until the end of his life and beyond.
With the move of Louis XIV to the Château de Saint Germain en Laye
the Villeroys build a second Hôtel de Villeroy in Saint Germain en Laye
and sold the "historic" Hotel de Villeroy in 1671.
Hotel de Villeroy in Paris
after Louis XIV moving to Saint Germain en Laye
When Louis XIV settles his court at Saint Germain en Laye
the Villeroy follow him.
They build another new "Hotel de Villeroy" 18 rue de la Salle
facing the castel of Saint Germain.
They sold the historic "Hotel de Villeroy" in 1671.
Later they moved with Louis XIV to the court of Versailles.
The next owner of the building was the Pajot & Rouillé family
a family that had a royal license to run the postal service,
at the time a very prosperous private business
that lasted until 1738.
For the moment nobody knows
when Louis XIV has been to the Hôtel de Villeroy for the last time.
- It could have been around 1661 ??,
the moment he set up his court at Saint Germain en Laye
- It could also have been just before 1671 ??, date when the building was sold.
- It is also possible that the King has retourned to the house at a later time
even until 1711 ?? , the year of the end of his life.
Thanks to the revenues of the postal service
the following owners, the Pajot & Rouillé family
had once again transformed to house into a hotspot,
one of the most elegant houses in Paris.
Many magic receptions were held by Leon 1er Pajot or his associate Louis Rouillé
or their common children and grandchildren.
Documentation was lost during the French Revolution.
Imagine not even the name of the architect is known today.
The museums of France are full of treasures
that have once been in the Hôtel de Villeroy
it's only that nobody knows about the lost secrets
Maybe the Cremerie de Paris will be able to find out more ...
The first Cremerie de Paris opened in 1870 which was during the beginning of
Napoleon III's Pavillon Baltard food market.
It was a prominent cheese store with many famous customers
from the late 19th or early 20th century.
According to Coco Chanel
the "Cremier" (French for owner of the Cheese store)
of the first Cremerie de Paris
liked to show the beautiful staircase to his special cheese clients.
Historic merits of an unknown person
There is someone that has a lot of merits in this story.
Cremerie de Paris has heared people from the area talk about this person
but it still does not know the name ...
It's a person that is/was in Love with Paris,
a person with little financial possibilites and a lot of energy,
eventually a retired school teacher ...
She/he managed to save the Hotel de Villeroy from distruction in the 1970ies
She/he was able to convince the Ministry of Culture to list the building
as a Monument historique (historic Monument)
and to stop a project from some real estate promoters
connected to President Georges Pompidou
Pompidou like to "faire place à la modernité" (create space for the modern times).
Like the Pavillons Baltard
and the very beautiful last buildings on rue des Halles
the Hôtel de Villeroy was supposed to be demolished
... to become a modern car parking.
At the time the entire Hôtel Particulier (historic townhouse)
was owned by the Belle Jardinière a department store
which was in 1972 bought by the Willot brothers (group Agache Willot),
real estate speculators that ended in a bankrupcy scandal.
Arrival of today's Cremerie de Paris
Today's Cremerie de Paris only arrived in 1993,
322 after the departure of the Villeroy
as one of 4 Boutiques for Sony products, all located on rue des Halles.
The Boutiques called Electrica for Sony started in 1985
and were opened by the editor of this article at a time he was 20.
The Boutiques were a big success and attracted
audio visual minded "Sony Lovers" from everywhere including Lady Diana,
but the "grande epoque" of Sony did not last ....
From 1995 to 2005 the Boutiques progressively
became what must have been the very first Internet cafe in Paris.
Again the building was used by people that played a certain role
in the history of the 20th century.
One of them was Aimee de Heeren, a Lady of unbeleivable vitality and beauty,
in the late 1930s she was the unofficial "first Lady of Brazil",
later in the early 1940s the girlfriend of JFK's older brother Joseph Kennedy Jr.
She was almost a hundered years old when she came to the cafe
and she was very amused to know a bit
of the "just born Internet phenomenon"
so that she could tell "old people" (30 years younger that herself)
how much she enjoyed to surf on the web.
This attracted the "Tout Paris" to take lessons at the Internet Cafe ...
In 2000 and 2001 Princess Soraya,
once the Queen of Iran was the cafe's most charming and most regular student
and her visits resulted
in the later creation of the website Palace Hotels of the World.
Many younger key people of the Internet might also have come,
during the early years of the Internet it was difficult to get a connection in Paris
but unfortunately the cafe did not keep un "livre d'or" (a visitors book).
The cafe closed in 2005 as wifi connections became available everywhere
but what is left from the Cybercafe times
is a multitude of iconic Internet Domain names
and the historic real estate.
In 2011 the Cremerie reopened no longer as a Cybercafe,
nor as a cheese store but as expo center and film location.
This was the start of our ongoing inquiries about the past
... full of surprises ...
Louis XIV par Wikipedia.fr
Pavillon Henri IV, naissance de Louis XIV
Le Palais Royal, enfance de Louis XIV par Monuments Nationaux.fr
Hotel de Villeroy, enfance de Louis XIV
Chateau de Versailles, résidence de Louis XIV
Sept Merveilles du Monde
Cremerie de Paris par VB.com
(Hôtel de Villeroy
Cremerie de Paris years)